Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Just Thinkin' About Photo Publishing

Nancy and Jan take to the blog world together.
Thanks Jan, for permission to post our photo.
It's so fast and easy!  Yesterday I downloaded Instagram on my smartphone and learned to post photos (with lots of enhancements, too) directly to Facebook and Twitter.  How cool!  Still not sure if I'll use it much, but it's fun to know I can.  Then I got to thinking about how we take photos, where we take them and how we use them now.  What are the restrictions that might apply to any photo I would take on-the-go?  Things happen so much more quickly lately since we have these conveniences that we might not stop to think what's involved. 

Well, a funny thing happened this morning, as they say.  I was reading some of the feeds on Twitter and saw the Lifehacker blog that many times is very helpful and thought-provoking reading.  There it was....a plethora of information on all the issues around our rights and responsibilities connected with photography in public.  Generally, "If you can see it, you can shoot it" is the rule, but it isn't really that black and white. 

On another side issue, Lifehacker also reminds us that Instagram requires that we grant usage permission for our photos when we upload. He says:  "This doesn't mean they get ownership of your photos, but it does mean they can use them any way they like."

I'll think a little more about my usage.  Just sayin'.

Thanks Lifehacker.  Thought maybe others would like to read this:  Lifehacker blog on Photography Rights

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi: Thanks for your thoughts.